Website management – why is it so important?
September 30. 2021
Nowadays, doing business successfully is impossible without being present on the internet. People have got used to searching for the information or services they need online. Unsurprisingly, the majority of companies choose to advertise their brand or services this way. It takes time and knowledge to create an outstanding website that will turn visitors into clients. This is where website management becomes important. What does it refer to? How does it affect your business? Read on and find out.
What is website management?
Website management refers to all those steps one needs to take to get a properly functioning website as a final product. If you are not an expert in the field, you can always hire a website management company whose employees know how to build your presence online. Website management consists of three major categories. These are:
- Website security
- Content management
- Website support
The importance of website security
It is necessary to protect your website from continuous attacks attempted by hackers or cyber criminals on a regular basis. Security issues should be dealt with on two different levels:
- Passive management – It involves setting up firewalls and other options to block potential attacks.
- Active management – It involves updating website backend management and using malware scans to detect potential danger.
A successful website requires adding new content on a regular basis. This refers to blog posts, images, website pages, etc. However, being new isn’t enough. The content has to be optimized for the web in accordance with both HTML and SEO parameters. Understandably, achieving this requires experience and considerable knowledge on the subject. Hence, prominent business companies hire experts to perform website maintenance for them.
Website support refers to a variety of things. Some of these are arranging the layout of your website, solving problems with forgotten passwords, changing address or contact numbers, answering questions related to your website or your business, etc.
The importance of successful website management
A properly functioning and eye-catching website can attract a lot of new clients. On the other hand, a malfunctioning website may be a sign that you are not responsible, reliable and professional in doing the business. Why is it important to manage your website properly? Here are the answers:
- This is a smart way to represent your brand and services in a modern and attractive way.
- It provides you with innovative marketing options which can help you make a considerable profit.
- You can easily connect with your clients, answer their questions, explain your services, and provide them with former customers’ reviews.
- You save time because all the crucial information is easily available online to all your visitors and potential clients.
- This is one of the ways to finally reach the full potential of your business.
DIY or outsource website management?
If you are considering DIY website management as an option, think carefully about whether you can meet all of its requirements. We will provide you with information on what full-service website management includes. Read on.
Tasks on a daily basis
Dependable website management involves dealing with website management tasks on a regular basis without exception. When it comes to the tasks to be performed every day, these are:
- Checking the backup of your website. – This is compulsory since it enables you to get back online on short notice in case your website is compromised.
- Monitoring your website’s uptime. – Should there be a lot of your website’s downtime, it may indicate a serious problem. Furthermore, it may cause a negative reputation among visitors. If you ever experience this problem, you will have to know which tool to use to get notifications about your website’s downtime. Can you do it without the help of a website management company?
- Perform security reports on a daily basis. – A malware-free website is the only option you can accept.
Tasks on a weekly basis
A reputable website management company performs certain tasks on weekly basis to enable the peak performance of the website at all times. These tasks include:
- Keeping your website up-to-date by immediately applying updates when they are released. – At all times you need to track novelties and apply them as soon as possible.
- Testing your website across various browsers. – Full-service website management deals with making your website easily available online over different browsers and on mobile devices as well.
Tasks on a monthly basis
To enable the perfect functioning of your website, some website management tasks on a monthly basis are necessary to perform. These are the most common ones:
- Review analysis – You need to find out how long your visitors stay on the website, what they usually view, which traffic sources they usually come from, etc. Gathering these pieces of information is necessary if you want to improve your website and reach its full potential. Can you do this by yourself?
- Check your website’s loading times. – Fast loading times are a must if you want to keep your visitors or clients on your web address. Otherwise, they may get the feeling they are wasting their valuable time.
- Testing the forms. – Inspect your website on a monthly basis and test all the forms to make sure none of the important data gets lost due to a malfunctioning form.
- Verifying your website’s backups. –This is necessary in case you need to quickly restore your website after a serious problem.
- Optimizing your database. – This doesn’t have to be performed every month. Once in three months is the optimal period for this task. Your website’s database can get considerably large, which will eventually slow down the website’s performance.
Tasks on a yearly basis
Every year, it is necessary to:
- Make changes related to copyright information in the footer. – Otherwise, your potential clients may get the impression you are no longer in business.
- Perform the evaluation of your plugins and themes. – Check how well your plugins function and whether the themes are appropriate or they need to get updated.
Final words on website management
Website management is a serious and time-consuming job. However, it may rocket both the volume of your business and your profit. Website management for small businesses may not be so demanding. Conversely, large companies need a dependable website management company to take care of their website. Paying the costs of website management is, by all means, a smart investment. If you want to expand and improve your business, take website management seriously.