On Page SEO Techniques for WordPress
February 12. 2021
Having a decent SEO is one of the surest ways of ensuring that your website has ample traffic. A well-made SEO strategy is usually the cornerstone of long-term marketing, which is why website owners usually hire professionals to deal with it. So, unless you are keen on delegating everything to professionals, you should be aware of how SEO works and how to best optimize your website for it. With this in mind, we are going to cover some on-page SEO techniques for WordPress and their proper implementation.
What you need to understand about on-page SEO
Before we get into specific techniques for SEO management, you need to understand the core idea behind it. Know that SEO is not a superficial, one-and-done issue that you can tackle within a day or two. Proper SEO management requires weeks of research and months of testing. It is a multilayered, intricately structured system that involves every aspect of your online presence. From your website to your posts and offers. So, if you are interested in having a sustainable long-term marketing strategy, which you definitely should be, you need to research SEO. The basic include:
- On-Page SEO (which we will now cover).
- Off-Page SEO.
- Content Marketing.
- Link building.
- Local SEO.
- Website speed and performance.
- Google Analytics.
So, the sooner you start researching it, the better. Furthermore, don’t shy away from talking with a professional. As you will soon learn, every website needs to come up with its own SEO strategy if it is going to succeed. And the easiest way to find the right strategy is to consult with experienced professionals. Every dollar invested in SEO is going to be worth two in the long-run. Therefore, if you wish to save money on your website, don’t do it by being cheap on SEO.
Must know on-page SEO techniques for WordPress
The two pillars that make the foundation of your SEO are its off-page and on-page aspects. On-page SEO encompasses all your efforts in making your website intuitive, informative, and easy to navigate. Google’s Search Engine is becoming better and better at finding such websites and giving them a significant boost in SEO ratings. So, if you want to tackle on-page SEO, you need to learn how to address all the key aspects of your website. This is precisely what our SEO techniques will cover, step by step.
Creating SEO-friendly Content
With the latest improvements to Google’s Search Engine, it has become more important than ever to have quality content on your website. Long gone are the days where you could get away with subpar content and a couple of keywords. Today, you need to have quality content that people are actually going to read. So, to make this possible here is what you need to do:
- Incorporate proper keywords – Keyword research is a big part of any SEO strategy, and you need to implement it for your content. Ideally, you will find a way to incorporate keywords that are suited for your website and are relevant in everyday search. A basic rule to follow is that you need to mention your keyword at least 4 times in your article (the first and the last paragraphs are a must). And you need to use keyword variations.
- Use natural linking – Incorporating links in your content is a must But, if you want to have a decent SEO ranking, you also need to ensure that you naturally incorporate links into your text. If they stick out or feel unnatural, not only will your viewers notice, but the Google Engine is also going to.
- Enhance your content with different media – Photos, pictures, comics, videos, animations… These are all terrific things that you can use to make your content more interesting and SEO friendly. Ideally, you will have artists create original content for you, which is in line with your brand. If not, at least try to add free stock images that are good.
Meta descriptions and titles
Having decent meta descriptions and titles is just as important as having good content. In essence, it is the prelude to your content, which is why addressing it is necessary. The rules that apply to meta descriptions and content titles are fairly similar to those that apply to standard content. But, due to their limited nature, they can be hard to implement. The important ones to ensure are:
- Naturally, incorporate the main keyword – Both the title and the meta description need to contain your keyword. The more naturally you can incorporate it, the better ratings you will get from Google’s Search Engine. This natural implementation of keywords is becoming more and more important for Google, as its algorithms are becoming smarter and smarter. Therefore, the sooner you get used to it, the better.
- Keep in short and sweet – A common mistake that people make is to make their titles and meta descriptions too long. To avoid this you need to limit yourself to 50-60 characters for the title, and up to 160 for meta description. Your goal is to spark the interest of your readers.
- Add modifiers – Modifiers like “top”, “best”, “2021”, “how-to”, etc. serve to improve your long-tail keywords. After all, most people that use Google use these modifiers when looking for content. So, by implementing it, you increase your chances of being found.
Having a clean, though-out URL is not something that all website managers take the time to deal with. But, trust us when we tell you that having easy to read URLs is necessary both one of the best on-page SEO techniques for WordPress and a great way to help with navigation. Your goal should be to first add keywords to your URL. And ensure that they are nice and short. By doing so you help people understand what the content is about, without having to open it. This increases the chances of them visiting your content if they find your link on a different site.