How WordPress users benefit from VPN
November 19. 2020
Internet security is one of the hottest topics of today. Whether you are browsing the web or running a website, there is always the possibility of a hacker attack. Exposing your private data to others may jeopardize your business, and your private life as well. With that in mind, let’s see how WordPress users benefit from VPN, and how you can use it to keep yourself and your customers safe on the internet.
How does VPN work?
VPN or Virtual Private Network works in such a way that it encrypts the information sent from your computer. Your provider or the users on the internet cannot intercept and see this data. The entire process works by applying a secret key that only another party with the same code can decipher. The most modern VPN apps offer AES-256 encryption, which is very difficult, if not impossible to break.
How WordPress users benefit from VPN?
Website security substantially improved over the past 10 years. Still, at the same time, hackers are finding new ways to steal private data from people surfing the web or trying to run a business. There were 5 major hacker attacks during 2019 and 2020, and WordPress security and monitoring solutions are heavily in demand.
There is an array of VPN advantages for WordPress users today:
- protect your login credentials
- make your HTTP website safe
- create a whitelist of IP addresses
- increase overall network security
- protect your IP address
- access websites permitted in your region
- do private research and analysis for your website
Accessing your website from unsecured networks
Working on your WordPress website from home while connected to your network is perfectly safe. However, if you find yourself in a coffee shop or anywhere where there is free WiFi, your security might be jeopardized. Those networks are unsecured, and anyone could be on the other end, trying to get your credentials and other private data.
By using a VPN, you are encrypting everything being sent from your laptop, so no one can hack it and get your credentials.
VPN – a solution for HTTP websites
Startup companies in need of a website often do not go immediately for an HTTPS address. There is also a number of older websites still running on HTTP. VPN provides a solution, offering an extra layer of protection.
With it, you can safely connect from any network without having to worry about potential consequences.
Create a whitelist of IP addresses
VPN has this fantastic option that allows you to whitelist any approved IP addresses. This way, specific fields of your website will only be accessible by the whitelisted addresses. An excellent way to deny access to anyone who is not verified.
Protect your IP address
By installing a VPN, you are hiding your IP address from anyone on the web. If no one can find your IP address, they cannot monitor your activities. This is a very effective way to become completely anonymous.
Access websites restricted by region
Every website is grouped by region, and some countries can not access a website outside of their region. That’s where VPN can help. By installing a Virtual Private Network, you can change your region and access anything you want. This is more often an advantage for people who browse the internet, but WordPress users benefit from VPN in this situation as well.
Do private research or analysis of your website
When you change the region by using a VPN, you can access restricted websites. However, you can also Google your website as a private member.
However, by using a VPN, you can access your website from another server, do a search query for your keywords, and see how they perform. This is a very useful way in which WordPress users benefit from VPN. If you combine this feature with the best keyword tools for SEO, you will achieve amazing results and get important data in return.
Are all VPNs equal?
If you look for VPN memberships, you will see there are many different options to choose from. However, how can you decide what is the best VPN service provider for your needs? There are a couple of factors to consider before you pick one and purchase a membership.
- What is the company behind the VPN service? – all VPN providers are developed by their company. The best way to know if you are dealing with the right people is to check them out before making a purchase. Know what their background is, are they recommended or not.
- What are the essential features you need? – whatever VPN you choose, they should have all the crucial requirements. Kill Switch terminates web activity if there is a service failure; Split tunneling lets you distribute the traffic between the public WiFi networks and VPN, resulting in faster speeds; Encryption should be of the highest quality, and today that is AES-256; Multi-hop encrypts data through more than one server; Dedicated or shared IP addresses, to hide your identity better; Torrenting and Netflix are additional benefits for personal use.
- How fast is the VPN? – speed plays a crucial role when picking a VPN provider.
- Is it costly or affordable? – unfortunately, all good things cost money. Consider your budget when picking a VPN provider. It is a good idea to ask about different packages or potential discounts and get the best option for your wallet.
A few closing words
Hopefully, now you have enough information to understand how WordPress users benefit from VPN. Furthermore, you should be able to make an informed decision when it comes to picking a VPN provider. Protecting the safety of your website is indirectly helping you to keep your customers safe. Stay safe, it’s a harsh world out there!