Tips to Create a Full Width Page in WordPress
December 21. 2020
Having a full-width page in WordPress is practically a must for certain websites. Of course, you can get away with clever design ideas and elaborate templates. But, the general rule of thumb is that you should use full-width pages whenever they fit your website. So, how does one create a full-width page in WordPress? Well, as it turns out, there are different methods that you can use to make this happen. Some are fairly simple to implement, while others require a bit more knowledge. On the other hand, those that are more complicated tend to give you a higher degree of freedom. So, it can be well worth your time to explore them.
Different ways to create a full-width page in WordPress
Dealing with the design of your website is much easier if you have a decent theme set up. With it, it will be fairly easy to not only implement a full-width page but also change various aspects of it like footer, header, etc… So, we strongly advise you to look into WP themes and choose one that suits both the style of your website and has decent optimization behind it.
Using the theme’s full-width template
To start off, we are going to explain one of the most straightforward ways for creating a full-width page in WP. Namely, if you are using even a half-decent theme for your website, you should already have an integrated option to make your page full-width. The steps can vary based on the theme that you are using, and the way in which the creator oriented its options. But, for most themes, you simply need to follow these steps:
- Open the WordPress dashboard.
- Head on to the Pages -> Add New.
- In the Document pane (on your right) expand the “Page attributes“.
- Select the Template dropdown.
- If you have a “Full-Width Template” option, select it.
Doing this will ensure that your current page is full-width. If you cannot find the “Full-Width Template” option, no problem. There are other methods you can try out.
Using a Fullwidth Templates plugin
If the prior method didn’t work out, there is a simple solution. Namely, you can install a simple plugin to help you implement a Full-Width Template. For user convenience, the plugin is called the Fullwidth Template plugin. Therefore, you should have little trouble finding it. Once you do find it, here is what you’ll have to do:
- Install the plugin (to do so you need to only follow the standard plugin install instructions).
- After installing it, the plugin will add three options to your page templates.
- These will be “FW No Side Bar“, “FW Fullwidht“, and “FW Fullwidth No Header No Footer“.
- The first one will simply remove the sidebar from your page.
- The second (and the one you are probably looking for) will remove the title, comments, and sidebar, and will stretch the layout.
- Finally, the third one will remove everything like the previous one, plus the header and the footer.
We recommend that you try out each, before opting for the one the suits you best. If one of them suits you, great. But, if neither of these three does the trick, you might need to use a bit more complicated method. After all, the previous methods are straightforward. But, they do not offer much when it comes to customization.
Using a page builder plugin (through Beaver Builder)
While the previous methods give you the option to choose a full-width layout, this method will in fact help you create one. With it, you will be able to create different page layouts and create a full-width page that suits your needs. But, fair warning, it is a bit more complicated than the aforementioned methods. So let’s jump in:
- Install a WordPress page builder plugin (there are many, which is why we will cover Beaver Builder as one of the most popular ones).
- Once you’ve installed and activated Beaver Builder, you can either choose to edit a current page or make a new one.
- Here, you need to open the “Document” pane on your right and take a look at “Page Attributes“.
- Select the full-width template from the dropdown menu.
- Click on the “Launch Beaver Builder” button shown in the middle of your screen.
- This will take you to the Beaver Builder interface where you can use the drag and drop menu to create a page according to your needs.
If you are lacking in ideas, open the Templates tab at the top of the screen. There you will find pre-made templates that can at least give you inspiration for a decent website layout. Beaver Builder will allow you to edit any part of the template, so don’t shy away from using more elaborate ones.
The potential downside to Beaver Builder is that it can slow down your website. As you will see, there are a ton of options to choose from when it comes to layout, color, and size. But, as you will learn, these intricate options can slow down your website. Now, you can always hire a professional web developer to increase the website load speed for you. And, while this is definitely a good idea from time to time, it isn’t something that you should do solely because you are trying to create a full-width page in WordPress. Instead, we suggest that you opt for SeedProod.
While it may not have as many customizable elements as Beaver Builder, it covers pretty much all the basic stuff that a regular user might need. With it, you will be able to customize the header, footer, and all the other prominent aspects of your page. Using it, as it turns out, is fairly simple:
- Install the SeedProd plugin.
- Once you activate it, go to the SeedProd -> Pages, and add a new landing page.
- Select one of the templates, or create a page from scratch with the intuitive interface.