How to Add Save & Continue Functionality in WordPress Forms
January 25. 2022
The save & continue functionality in WordPress forms does exactly what its name implies – it allows all of your users to save their forms before filling them out completely. They can simply save their progress and continue editing at a later date. This feature is especially useful if you have complex and lengthy forms on your website. By allowing this to your users, you’ll increase the odds of users actually filling out the entire form. Now let’s cut to the chase – here’s how to add save & continue functionality and why should you add it to your website.
Why should you add save & continue functionality in WordPress forms?
The save & continue functionality is very simple to use. After enabling this feature, it will generate a “save and continue” link on your forms. This will allow users to continue completing the form at a later date and come back to it using a custom link that WordPress generates. There are plenty of WordPress forms plugins you can use to easily set this up. But we’ll talk more about that further in this article.
The benefits of enabling save & continue functionality
Here are just some of the benefits of adding save & continue functionality:
- In case you have long and demanding forms on your websites such as surveys or application forms, using this functionality will increase the chances of users completing the form.
- The most common example of how this feature can be very useful is if your website has a section for job applications. In case your job application is lengthy, it might be the best option to allow the applicants to complete it at a pace they feel comfortable.
- There is also an example of the design industry. However, it can be applied to other industries, too. Designers tend to have client questionnaires that are complex and challenging. Enabling this feature will help you turn more potential clients into loyal customers.
- Another good example is having a detailed survey on your website. In case it’s not time-sensitive, there is no reason not to enable the save & continue feature. It can only be beneficial!
- Lastly, always keep in mind that life happens. Some of your users will simply need to leave your website in a hurry as they have to deal with another issue. Therefore, no matter how short your form is, you’ll users will appreciate having the option to complete your form when it’s the most convenient for them.
Simple ways to add save & continue functionality in WordPress forms
The easiest way to add save & continue functionality in WordPress forms on your website is to use a plugin. For this article, we’ve chosen two to present to you with WP form. Even though it’s fairly simple to use, it’s always easier to get in touch with a team of pros who will take care of your WordPress website. After all, you want to be able to focus on other aspects of your business.
WP forms plugin
First, we’d like to recommend you try using WP forms. It’s one of the most user-friendly plugins out there. Plus, you don’t have to worry about being a WordPress expert. As it offers a drag and drop form builder, this plugin is even suitable to be used by beginners. This plugin will allow you to create any type of WordPress form you need. To enable save & continue functionality, you’ll need to install the Save and Resume addon.
Add save & continue functionality in WordPress forms using WP forms plugin
Once you activate the WP forms plugin and Save and Resume addon, it’s time to get started. First, let’s create a new WordPress form. Simply go to WPForms and click on Add New page. This will open a screen where you’ll be able to choose from pre-built templates for your form. There is even an option to search by a form name.
Once you’ve selected a template, click on the “Use Template” button and start editing. Drag and drop any form field you want onto the template and you’ll quickly have the form you need. You even have the option to edit each field in the form.
The next step is to go to the “Settings” tab and click on “Save and Resume”. By simply clicking on the toggle for the “Enable Save and Resume” option, you’ll allow your visitors to save their progress and continue filling out the form later. When you enable this option, you’ll get more settings that will help you customize this functionality.
You also want to ensure your visitors have easy access back to the form. To do this, scroll down and “Enable Resume Link”. This will allow users to copy the form link, paste it and save it to their browsers so they can continue later. An even better option is to “Enable Email Notifications” which will allow users to access their form from their inboxes.
This plugin gives you plenty more options related to your forms. For instance, you can customize notification emails your users receive when they fill out the form. Also, you can choose to add forms to any and as many pages, you want on your website.
The bottom line
We hope our article helped you add save & continue functionality in WordPress forms. It will make your website more user-friendly and enable your visitors to have a better experience. This will ultimately lead to increased traffic on your website!
But nowadays, you don’t have to worry about any of those things. You can sit back and relax while an experienced team handles all aspects of your WordPress website and ensures it’s always in the best shape possible! Our many happy clients will gladly confirm.